Monday, October 17, 2011

Teaching...Day One!

     Today was the first science lesson that my co-teacher Katie and I taught for a second grade class at a local elementary school! We presented the concept of making scientific observations using your senses. In spite of some initial nerves, we had a great experience and were excited to see the students so engaged and enthused to become scientific observers.
     Having a step-by-step lesson plan definitely helped us to present the lesson smoothly and effectively. I also recognize the importance of beginning and ending the lesson with some key questions that capture the essence of the material being presented. I feel that the ‘launch, explore, summary’ method of instruction that I have observed in some math classes, also works very well in a science class. Using this method, students are given the opportunity for both whole group and small group instruction. Objectives are introduced and repeated throughout the lesson and students are encouraged to explore the science topic being taught.

     This particular lesson also involved a few safety precautions to discuss and practice with the class. Students learned how to use the wafting method when using their sense of smell. They practiced handling objects in a mystery bag carefully when using their senses of touch, hearing, and seeing. We also discussed the idea that it is not safe to use our sense of taste during science because of the presence of germs or harmful chemicals that objects may contain. Katie’s idea to include glitter in the mystery bags to help students visualize the presence of germs really helped to capture this point! Overall, the students followed our directions well and carried out the activities safely.

     Another aspect of this experience that I believed benefitted the class was the fact that the lesson was co-taught. Having the presence of two teachers allows for more individualized student attention. Cooperation and teamwork are also modeled for the students. I personally enjoyed co-teaching this lesson and I felt that Katie and I worked well at balancing classroom management and delivering the lesson. Even during our lesson planning, I could see the benefits of being able to co-teach as Katie presented ideas that I wouldn’t have thought of on my own.

     Overall, I feel that this first lesson was a positive experience for teachers and students alike! I also appreciate the feedback we received from experienced teachers, which we will work at implementing during our next lesson. It is always helpful to have an extra pair of eyes and ears to make observations that we may be completely unaware of and to offer advice that will help shape us to become effective teachers.        

5 comments:

  1. Mia,
    I think you and Katie came up with a awesome lesson plan. Your lesson plan covered the key skills students needed to be great science observers, especially the safety aspect. You provided your students with the foundation they will need to progress forward with the butterfly unit. I can see them remembering what you taught them and implementing them when the caterpillars arrive. Your lesson plan was engaging and meaningful to your students, so I predict it will stick with them. Also, I was happy to hear, but not surprised that you worked well co-teaching with Katie. I agree that it was much better having two minds creating the lesson plans. Lindsay also came up with ideas I would never have thought of. It was also great bouncing ideas off of you and Katie and the rest of the butterfly group. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,


    I like how you used the mystery bags; that is a sure-fire way to get the students engaged. I would like to see what the differences are between 2nd and 4th graders and also the difference between a single teacher and co-teachers. Great job and good luck next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia, it sounds like you both did an amazing job with the lesson! I totally agree with you that "launch, explore, summmary" fits SO well with science as well as almost all subject areas. It is definetly a great concept to keep in mind when planning! Co-teaching is definetly a plus in education, as like you said, it allows for more individualized student attention, which is great! Too bad we can't allows co-teach as elementary teachers!! So glad your first lesson was a positive one, as it will give confidence... Yey butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia, Sometimes teachers fall out of practice with creating lesson plans. Why is that a bad idea? What can happen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mia, I'm glad to hear that your first lesson went well! I never really thought about how the students are also benefiting from the co-teaching experience, and I think you made a great point by saying that they are learning the importance of being able to work together and cooperate effectively by watching you two collaborate. The fact that Katie offers insights and strategies that are different than your own definitely allows the students to get more out of the lesson, and allows them to see the material from two slightly different perspectives. I think that you and Katie will do an especially good job working together because your personalities just seem to fit, and I can see that both of you will compliment each others strengths very effectively.

    ReplyDelete