Friday, September 16, 2011

My Science Story



     As I look back, my childhood overflowed with science! Light and color flashed across my bedroom walls as dozens of prisms dangled over each window. My pet turtle, Merlin, crawled through the jungle I had created for him in his own glass terrarium. Rock collections and seashells filled velvet bags and jars neatly lined up on a bookcase shelf. Even a mobile of the solar system hung above my bed, the ceiling complete with a set of glow in the dark constellation stickers. Wow! I think I was a science nerd... I just didn’t realize it!

     My most vivid memories of experiencing science in school are from my sixth grade science class. My teacher’s passion and enthusiasm for science resembled that of Ms. Frizzle, from the Magic School Bus books. My teacher would even wear prints and pictures on her clothing that reflected what we were currently learning! During this class, I used microscopes to discover the complexity of diatoms, the parts of paramecium, and the rigid plant cells lined up in layers of onion.  For one class, students wore white plastic gloves, ready to hold and poke the slippery squid and explore the squishy parts of oysters and clams that our teacher had laid out on a special science table. Later in the school year, I even dissected a sheep’s eyeball, a frog, and an abnormally large earthworm. (Although I did not find these particular activities appealing in the least bit!)  Overall, my sixth grade science experience proved to be one of adventure and discovery that I thoroughly enjoyed!

     As you can see, many seeds of science have been planted in my life. I am excited to return to a science classroom... this time taking Ms. Frizzle’s role! I know that my students are budding scientists as they each bring curiosity and wonder into the classroom. It will be my job to give them many opportunities to explore the world of science and to discover the everyday situations in which science is involved.  I look forward to this next adventure as I take a part in planting the seeds of science in the next generation of learners!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mia, Just like Katie you have had great science experiences in elementary school. I wish I did too since it all sounds like so much fun. Hopefully my students will have your experiences and I can be someone's memorable science teach, I'm sure you will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mia, it sounds like you have so many great memories of science growing up! I like your description of your Ms Frizzle-like teacher. It's nice to have someone like that to think of for inspiration when we move to our own classrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia!
    Wow..as soon as you brought up Ms Frizzle and the Magic School Bus I was immediatly taken back to 4th and 5th grade when my teachers constantly had us watching those videos. I actually loved them (and cant believe I forgot about them..) My favorite one was when the class went inside someone body (my memory is vague) but they spent the school days going through all the organs and body parts and "floating" through the bloodstream like they were going down a river. haha Oh, the memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia -

    What a great six grade class you were in! It sounds like you had incredible experiences. From our literacy class togeather, I saw how interesting you make your classroom; combine that with your "science nerd" nature and you can tell you are going to make a wonderful Ms. Frizzle!

    ReplyDelete