Tuesday, September 20, 2011

On-line Resource for Elementary Science Educators

   

     One on-line resource that I recommend as a supplement to an elementary classroom curriculum is found at www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus. Join in on the adventures of Ms. Frizzle and her class as they explore many diverse topics you will most likely encounter in the elementary science classroom. This website includes a thematic index of topics covered in the Magic School Bus books. Various classroom activities are presented as well as ideas for science experiments, complete with materials needed. Virtual field trips are also an option through this website! I recommend checking out this fun website, as well as the Magic School Bus books and videos, which all can provide interesting encounters with the world of science for your elementary grade students!

7 comments:

  1. What a great find Mia! I love the magic school bus and think that this site is a great resource for teachers and parents to use. The site even has fun, educational games for children which helps them get involved in their own learning. I haven't explored the virtual field trips that you wrote about but they seem like a very useful teaching tool. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love the Magic Schoolbus when I was a kid, it really makes learning science fun! We used to read the books in school, and I would have my mother buy me a bunch of them from Scholastic when our school sent home the flyers a few times a year. The tv show was awesome too, I think I have seen almost every one! I did not realize they had an online component with virtual field trips and other activities, but that will be a great resource to use when teaching science!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia thanks for sharing this link! I think a lot of us have fun memories of Magic School Bus from when we were younger. I'm glad to know that there's a website with online resources for kids. Being able to have the books in our class library and to let kids explore online on their own will give them a lot of options for learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria - Great resource, thanks for reminding me about the MSB series. I love that they have virtual field trips, I know they can't replace the real thing, but they are such a great resource for classrooms that would otherwise not be able to experience the trip. I can't wait to check the website out in more depth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria,

    This seems like one of the best elementary science resources that can be found. Scholastic does a great job with educational resources. I think Scholastic and PBS are the front runners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS! This brings back very good memories from my childhood :) I learned so much from this cartoon !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love Ms. Frizzle!! After following your link, I found out that there is an iPad app for The Magic School Bus. Yay!

    ReplyDelete